laptop standby

alvonsius albert alvonsius.albert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 06:41:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 09:24, C Hamel wrote:
> On Thursday 19 October 2006 18:16, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-19-10 at 11:28 -0700, Rares Vernica wrote:
> > > Do you people manage to make your laptop standby?
> >
> > I've never seen a laptop successfully standby (nor hibernate).  That's
> > one Toshiba, two Sonys and a Haier.  More accurately, I've seen them
> > hibernate or standby (the first Sony didn't work with standby but it
> > could hibernate) -- it's the recovery that didn't work.
> >
> > The only laptop I've got left to play with -- the Haier -- does both
> > hibernation and standby just fine.  Its behaviour is the same as the
> > others, though, so whatever the problem is could probably illuminate the
> > others'.  Upon returning from either state the video display gets
> > scrambled and displays a weird pattern that looks for all the world like
> > my screen is on fire.  I've run tests using software that writes to
> > logfiles to show that the system is up and running just fine after
> > either state (on all four machines, in fact), but the video malfunction
> > renders the machine unusable as a result.
> >
> > What's weird is that a desktop machine that reports the same video card
> > has no problem with hibernation (but can't switch to standby).
>
> You may add to that list, an HP Pavilion ze5570us.  Same results as you
> describe above: goes down fine, video is b0rked when it comes back up.
> Major hassle.

If your case was to bring your laptop back after suspend , try add this line
under the "Device" section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Option          "VBERestore"    "true"

I tried this and from suspend to wake again has no problem at all. BTW I'm
using i915, dunno if this works to on "bigfoot cards" like ATi and nVidia ...

--
Alvonsius Albert N

"Do whatever you like, but remember to take care all the responsibilities"

Currently Blog at http://alvonsius.blogsome.com