a good hex editor

Luqman luqman_ngs at gmx.net
Thu Oct 19 17:46:38 UTC 2006

> Derek Broughton wanted us to know:

>James Tappin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:45:00 +0200
>> Luqman <luqman_ngs at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> L> hello,
>> L>
>> L> I am in need of a good, i.e. to some extent usable hex editor. I have
>> L> had a try on vim (with hex mode), ghex2 and  hexcurse but none of
>> L> them seem to do what I lke.
>> L>
>> L> I like to delete some parts of a binary file using such a hex editor.
>> L> Unbelieveable but true, everyone of the above mentioned editors had
>> L> one or the other issue.
>>
>> L>   There must an intuitively usable hexeditor available, I have not
>> L>   tried yet.
>> L>
>> L>   You feedback is much appreciated. I am not afraid of command line
>> L>   but the editor should at least do what the name suggest "able to
>> L>   edit" hex file.
>>
>> I generally use khexedit (mainly for such nasties as debugging VMS file
>> record structures), I think there is a hex mode in emacs as well.
>>
>Interesting that this just came up as I practically never use a hex editor,
>but have been using khexedit the last couple of days.  The only issue I've
>found with it is that I can't paste into the "find" box (????).

khexedit is exactly what I was looking for. I have the feeling there are
more utilities available for KDE than for gnome. You feel the difference
once small utilities are available for one desktop and are missing for
the other.

This is not meant to be an attack on gnome, just the ascertainment
I have made. I am still using gnome, though :) So no hard feelings ;-)

Cheers,

--
Luqman