fglrx and Xinerama - so close!

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Oct 18 18:01:08 UTC 2006

Well, I am so close I can taste it ;-)

I want to use the fglrx drivers and get Xinerama working.

I have an ATI 8600 in an IBM ThinkPad T42, Right now I have a perfect
image on both monitors, though with separate desktops. I even get
acceleration on both monitors. So far so good!

But if I change *one thing*, namely add "option xinerama on" to my
server flags, the second monitor becomes unreadable, and the laptop
monitor gets "dirty", with mouse "droppings" and visual noise inside
windows. The task bars don't draw properly, though some parts of them
come good if the mouse is moved over them, etc etc.

It sort of works, in that when I drag something from the primary to the
secondary monior, I see changes in the blur :-) and the item disappears
from the primary monitor, but that's about it. Note that the monitors
have the same resolution, 1400x1050.

I don't know how to get a cloned image at all. The server flag "option
clone on" does nothing as far as I can tell.

Ideas on both these would be much appreciated.

Regards, K