Partitioning Question

Ron Smits ron at ronsmits.org
Mon Oct 16 17:40:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 10:30 -0700, wade at wadesmart.com wrote:
> 10162006 1225 GMT-6
>
> Thanks Felix. It doesnt add to 200 because I thought it would be smart to have some extra space for something else, maybe a backup.
>
> So hda1 would be /boot -> and this is a primary
> hda2 would be /root    -> and this would be inside an ext partition

if the root is inside an ext partition it will be /dev/hda5. Also call
it just / or "the root partition" that cuts down on the
misunderstandings :)

> hda5 would be /swap
/dev/hda6 would be a swap partition, it is not mounted or accessible
as /swap (note I made it hda6 as hda5 is the root partition

> hda6 would be /home    -> and both this and /swap are inside the same ext partition as /root.
>

> Now, if I wanted to install Edgy, would that could be in any partition,
>  and not a primary one, because of this /boot. Is that correct? And
>  when I go to install 6.06 will it understand or will I specifically
>  have to tell it that something goes in the boot area and the rest in
>  /?

Basically if you already have a boot, that is used to boot it would be
added there. I think the ubuntu installer is smart enough for that :)
you do not have to tell it that

Ron