diagnosing possible hardware problem

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Oct 14 18:43:24 UTC 2006

On 06/10/14 14:20 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata apparently typed:

> On 06/10/14 10:33 (GMT-0700) Constantine Evans apparently typed:

>> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> What do you mean by "something"? All there is is 4 screws, a power cable,
>>> and one of the 3 ribbon cables I used, connected only to the device and the
>>> motherboard.

>> Either the controller on the motherboard, or some sort of IDE problem.
>> But I'm really not sure.

> On further thought I have the idea that it could be AGP card related, but
> can't imagine a way to actually prove it, only to make the problem go away
> if it is. Running XFCE I see no kind of apparent screen corruption. The card
> is ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X. I got it as one of a dozen pulls from my brother,
> who couldn't find W2K drivers for them that worked right, and replaced them
> all with something else that made his problems go away. Those I subsequently
> installed in other systems using W2K or WXP had similar trouble, but they
> seemed to be fine using W9x. Maybe the problem isn't the W2K/WXP driver but
> rather the card itself.

> I just put in a newer ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP without the 2X and removable RAM
> modules. Maybe that will fix it. If it doesn't, I might stick an old Matrox in.

Probably hit send too soon. On first boot I got another "Kernel panic - not
syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)" following a CRC
error after the RAMDISK found at block 0 message, all using the same Grub
stanza that had been working before. :-(
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409