diagnosing possible hardware problem

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Oct 14 03:09:18 UTC 2006

On 06/10/13 19:14 (GMT-0700) NoOp apparently typed:

> OK perhaps I misunderstood. However, in attempting to access the mirror
> ftp directories of the location that you are using I noticed multiple
> delays and timeouts connecting (all of my other network connections are
> working just fine). So, could it be that there is a problem with the
> site ftp connection?

I'm quite sure that's possible. With other distros, one mirror can be
chosen. Apparently the Ubuntu system for "the" US mirror is a collection of
mirrors sharing one hostname. I can't imagine any other way the volume from
a country the size of the US could be serviced. I did try one of the
european mirrors one time, but found no evident improvement.

> Why not download the full installation files,
> verify them, and then set up a local ftp server for the installation
> instead?

I tried to do something like that early on. I downloaded the edgy beta DVD
iso, verified it, and loop mounted it on my server. But, I never could find
usable instructions on how to tell the Ubuntu installer how to use an nfs
source, either the raw iso, or a loop mounted iso. All I did find was
inferences that it should be doable that way. I subsequently asked where to
find such instruction on the ubuntu-devel list (4 days ago) but never got a
useful response. Anyone here know?
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409