Adding RAM

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Oct 13 23:29:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 06:46 +0800, Wei-Yee Chan wrote:
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/cache/char_Cacheability.htm

An interesting description, but I don't think it helps much. If you add
more memory without increasing the amount of cache AND you increase the
load by running more processes, thus more randomly distributing the
addresses accessed and thus reducing the probability of a cache hit,
then yes I can see things might slow down.

But we were talking about a single user system and I presumed the work
being done by the computer was about the same before and after the
increase in memory so I can't see how there can be any slow down as a
result of the extra memory.

This also assumes the cache is capable of caching up to 1GB of memory.
If it is built to support only caching the first 512MB, then again there
would be a slow down. The manufacturer's statements of maximum amount of
memory supported by the system could be quite misleading this scenario.

Hmm, maybe I'm almost convinced! But not quite yet!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold