edgy upgrade problems

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 10:23:49 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, MLT <mstruscott at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> When I boot messages are as normal except for a message at the bottom
> saying:
>
> Kernel direct mapping tables up to 1000 0000 @ 8000-8000

Normal, I believe.

Then at the point I would expect usplash to start the screen blanks and I am
> left with a white cursor in the top left.
>
> If I change to tty1 then I get the following error message:
>
> 5e411d60:4c7d4512 F1 ILLEGAL X86 OPCODE!

Something not right there.

It then notifies me that the 4 logical volume are now active and then the
> following message:
>
> 5e411d60:4c7d4512 63 ILLEGAL X86 OPCODE!
>
> The computer then seems to do a complete check of the file system which
> the
> system passes. The system then does a very slow boot to an x terminal,
> there
> are no errors posted during this process.

My upgrade does this fsck too, or at least appears to - I presume it's to do
with journaling in EXT3 as it's a very quick filesystem check. I'd suggest
it was "normal" and not part of your issue.

The system then goes into kdm which will accept input for a short time (I
> think until a return key is pressed) then the keyboard is ignored for x or
> console and there is no acceptance of any other USB input. The machine
> will
> then boot properly but no input is possible. It is possible to login from
> ssh session but there is no bash/dash shell just a "dumb" $.

This isn't normal obviously...

At this point my knowledge stops. Any suggestions?

I'm afraid I've got no idea - one of the issues with upgrading to a testing
release I guess. I think I'd start with attempting to determine what code is
loaded at location 5e411d60:4c7d451 - get rid of that and I'd suspect that
there's a strong chance that your non-responsive keyboard issue may improve.

Do you have any exotic hardware attached to this machine - USB card readers,
webcam, etc? Output of "lspci" perhaps - anything else in the message or
syslog file, or even dmesg?

If it's any consolation, this is the sort of problem which testing Edgy is
supposed to reveal - it's just a bummer when it reveals itself on your
machine...

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...