ubuntu xp vmware cluster f...er...filesharing

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 05:24:27 UTC 2006

On 10/9/06, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:

> here's the scene.  I can't get away from XP.  Speech recognition, yada
> yada yada.  I am running VM Ware with ubuntu in a couple of virtual
> machines.  My goal is to have a common workspace between any number of
> virtual machines.  The common workspace should be accessible no matter
> which combination of virtual machines are running.  For example if I
> have one or five, the same workspace should be available to all of them.
>   in fact, even if no virtual machines are running, the workspace should
> be available because I am going to do all of my backups from XP
> (unfortunately :-| ).
>
> I've tried the built-in file sharing but it fails because permissions
> are always 600 and owned by root.  Those permissions and ownership are
> fraudulent because the VMWare file sharing code ignores permissions and
> ownership (because it can).  This screws me up because as I create
> Python modules in this common space, it installs them with the wrong
> user ID and permissions which makes it damn difficult for processes
> under different user IDs  to use.
>
> I tried Samba but I could not get ubuntu to consistently (i.e. rarely)
> see the filesystem exporter from XP.  The filesystem navigator can see
> it and I could login etc. but I couldn't find or mount the Samba volume.
>   I'm also not comfortable that it will handle permissions correctly
> either.

First of all, SAMBA will handle permissions correctly. Since you are
mounting a Winblows volume from Linux, at the time you mount it you supply
credentials. Thus, any operation done on this volume will be performed
remotely (on Windows) using that credentials. Thus, if you are running Linux
as user joe and mount a remote Winblows XP volume as user doe, when you
create a file on the remote XP volume from Linux as user joe, the file gets
created as user doe.

Second, I have always had problems with the sucker Computer Browser. Since,
by default, it uses broadcasts, there are sometimes firewalls or other
factors can stop those stupid Winblows XP NetBIOS over UDP broadcasts from
being seen. Thus, you have several options:

1. Modify the sucker Computer Browser and NetBIOS dated-from-the-age-stone
to use WINS instead of broadcasting like mad.
2. Don't rely on Computer Browser for browsing.
3. If you run on KDE, use LISA.

I considered NFS but the Microsoft SFU has apparently reached