iPod and generic mp3 player support in Edgy and Dapper

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 13:17:41 UTC 2006

No, we'll try Amarok.

I also found this launchpad entry:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/rhythmbox-ipod

which says that ipod support for rhythmbox in dapper was 'deferred.'
Since we know rhythmbox could play from ipod in dapper, I assume the
entry is about full support.

And this wiki page:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/rhythmbox-ipod

which says iPods work with Banshee, GTKPod and Amarok in Dapper,
though we know from our own testing that Banshee and GTKPod are buggy
(both crashed).

Neither page has info about Edgy.

It seems that if journalling is enabled on the iPods HFS+ filesystem
then Linux (in Dapper) mounts the iPod as read only, which may explain
banshee and gtkpod crashing. You can disable journalling on the ipod
via OSX, though probably not via WinXP or Ubuntu. We are going to find
out if disabling journalling fixes things.