Xubuntu on P-III

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Mon Oct 9 07:26:34 UTC 2006

H.S.Rai wrote:

> I was trying to install Xubuntu on PIII 1.2 GHz with Ram 128MB from
> Live CD, as dual boot on a system which had MSwinXP.

128MB is ok-ish for running Xubuntu, but absolutely not enough for
running the live CD.  You might JUST get away with it by tweaking the
boot options to reduce the ram drive size.

Still, it's much better to get the 'Alternate' install CD, so not the
live CD.

(I think it's silly having the live CD being the default/recommended
version to install Xubuntu, which is obviously intended for lesser
hardware.)

Oh, or an even better option:  Plug in at least 256MB or preferably
512MB (it's cheap) and just run regular Ubuntu.   It works just fine on
a Pentium III, also those that run at less than 1Gz.  (As long as enough
memory is available).

Memory is so cheap that it isn't even worth the hassle of downloading an
'alternate' install CD.  Do yourself a favor and run enough memory. The
days of Linux (incl Xubuntu) being truly 'light' are far behind us.

Cheers,
Chanchao