vmware - netorking

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sun Oct 8 15:58:58 UTC 2006

Dimitri Mallis wrote:

> i used automatix to in stall vmware & it so not in aptitude's list for me
> to uninstall
You could try to install vmware server. With my install, the previously
installed (from source) vmware player was simply gone, after I installed
the vmware server deb package.

As an added bonus, you then have vmware server as a package in the package
list and, most important for your problem, you can very easily graphically
set up and modify networking of your VMs, without the need for rather
clumsy modifications of text based config files in the case of vmware
player.

Note: In order to get the vmware server deb-package I downloaded the rpm
packages of server and console and then used alien to convert to deb. While
this is considered to be "kind of dirty" by many, it is dead easy and works
like a charm for any version of vmware server, since I installed my first
one on ubuntu.

regards
Eberhard