Network Booting - howto?

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Sun Oct 8 14:35:09 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Hope you had a happy hug day a few days back :)

I've had a small project since switching to Linux 7 months ago... I've
turned my laptop in to a debmirror, apt-proxy, web server, ftp server,
dns server and a dhcp provider, a lot of thanks goes to the fellow
members of this list who've helped a great deal. Thanks :)

Now I turn my attention to a new aspect. I now want my laptop to be a
network boot server. That is I want to be able to network other
computers to it and they can do a network boot from my laptop - the boot
will allow them to begin the alternate installation of Dapper.

Problem: I can't find my information on how to do this, the information
that I have read either is conflicting or not clear enough for me to
follow. What are the requirements for a computer to become a network
boot server? I know that tftp comes in to it somewhere but that's the
limit of my knowledge. Could someone either tell me the things I need to
do or point me to a decent howto. Cheers!

Gabe