Remove Kubuntu and Edubuntu

Clive Menzies clive at clivemenzies.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 11:40:02 UTC 2006

On (05/10/06 14:57), Sameera Shaakunthala wrote:
>     I have installed Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Kubuntu on my box.
>     First I installed Ubuntu on /dev/hda1. Then I installed Edubuntu on
> /dev/hda6. Finally I installed Kubuntu on /dev/hda5.
>     I think that if I format /dev/hda5, the GRUB may confused.
>     So I think that first I need to 'repair' the existing Ubuntu
> installation without losing any data. (I hope Ubuntu will overwrite the
> GRUB to make itself default). Then I will format the other EXT3 volumes
> to remove existing other operating systems.
>     Do you have any ideas about my "genius";-) plan?
>     Please tell me how to repair Ubuntu without losing any data and updates?
>
>     Please consider that I am new to Linux.
> I understood that I should learn one-by one. If I take all at once,
> nothing will be completely done.

If I were planning to keep Ubuntu and dispense with the other two
systems, I'd boot into Ubuntu.

$ sudo grub-install /dev/hda

then

$sudo update-grub (this may be superfluous)

Check the menu.lst:

$ less /boot/grub/menu.lst

and make sure the Ubuntu system is the default.

reboot to check and then deal with the remaining partitions as planned.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...