how to convert matroska video file to avi file (losslessly)?

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 09:52:20 UTC 2006

On 01/10/06, Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org> wrote:
> I've acquired some videos in the Matroska ".mkv" format. The video
> stream is encoded with the XVID codec, and the audio stream is encoded
> with the MPEG4-AAC codec. I'd like to repack these into files in the avi
> format, losslessly if possible. It seems like it should be possible, and
> I'd like to do it at the command line, preferably with gst-launch, but
> any solution will be valuable.

The first thing that comes to mind is using VLC to re-save the stream.
I've never tried an mkv (which VLC plays effortlessly) into an AVI
personally, but I can think of no reason why you shouldn't be able to
do it. As for losslessly, I'm not sure though...

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...