Strange CPU and proc behavior (gkrellm) (solved)

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Sun Oct 1 15:42:28 UTC 2006

Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> On 10/1/06, squareyes <squareyes at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> gkrellm is showing me some very strange behavior,
>>
>> The CPU on idle is showing spiking from 0%-50%-0%-6%-48% etc., constantly.
>>

> That doesn't sound like an unusual number of processes. I have a 160
> running, with two users at the moment. A couple of things to run:

> Just like that, at a shell prompt. That'll show you the currently
> logged in users. I show three right now, even though it's just me via
> FreeNX and my son locally, but that's because I'm currently also
> logged into one of the ttys.
>
> Also run:
>
> top
>
> Just watch the output of this for a minute and you'll see what
> applications are sucking up the CPU. I'm betting it's your browser,
> Xorg and email program, but it could also be some cron task running in
> the background.
>
> -Eamonn

Hi all,
many thanks all, never really looked at the number of users ,until the
strange spiking
started. Something new learnt. Terminal showing as another user. More I
learn the less
I seem to know :-)
Found the culprit, was Modem Monitor, added it last night to check it
out, now removed,
and no more CPU drain.
Many thanks again,
Take Care