Strange CPU and proc behavior (gkrellm)

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 13:45:28 UTC 2006

On 10/1/06, squareyes <squareyes at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> gkrellm is showing me some very strange behavior,
>
> The CPU on idle is showing spiking from 0%-50%-0%-6%-48% etc., constantly.
>
> proc is showing 103 procs and 2 users, am the only one logged on. Am the
> only user
> on this machine.
> Am using Dapper. Last applications I installed were libflash-mozplugin,
> and totem-xine-firefox-plugin, both of which I have removed, but still
> showing
> this strange behavior. Any ideas as to what is happening would be very
> much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

That doesn't sound like an unusual number of processes. I have a 160
running, with two users at the moment. A couple of things to run:

Just like that, at a shell prompt. That'll show you the currently
logged in users. I show three right now, even though it's just me via
FreeNX and my son locally, but that's because I'm currently also
logged into one of the ttys.

Also run:

top

Just watch the output of this for a minute and you'll see what
applications are sucking up the CPU. I'm betting it's your browser,
Xorg and email program, but it could also be some cron task running in
the background.

-Eamonn