locale not supported by Xlib

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
Wed Nov 29 16:14:57 UTC 2006

Hi Matthew.

Matthew Kuiken wrote:
> Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>>> Hello everybody.
>>>
>>> I'm evaluating Ubuntu 6.06.1 for installing on our clients
>>> (about 35 hosts). Up to now, Ubuntu is in my opinion the best
>>> linux distribution I ever tried.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I hit a problem I cannot seam to be able to solve.
>>>
>>> I noticed the problem first while trying to install Maple 10. The
>>> installation program dies with an error 'locale not supported by Xlib'.
>>>
>>> So, I tried to launch gedit, and guess what? Gedit works, but in the
>>> shell I find the same message as above (cut and paste follows).
>>>
>>> I probably broke something while installing other software by
>>> hand (oracle, matlab, eagle, etc..).
>>>
>>> I tried to reinstall some locales, to change the language,
>>> reinstall xorg, but without success.. the messages are still there.
>>>
> <snip>
>
> I can only think of two things, and I'm not certain either will do
> anything for you.
>
> First is to ask how you reconfigured the locales.  If you used
> locale-gen, then I don't have any other knowledge there.

No. I didn't use locale-gen.. I just went to
System -> Administration -> Language support
and changed the default language.
In the upper panel I see that the support tick is
checked only for english and italian languages
In the dropdown menu in the lower panel I chose
English (Australia), which was the default after
installing ubuntu. Before I had italian (Switzerland)

> Second is that if you have re-installed all of those things, and still
> are seeing the error, it might be a setting in your user configuration
> files.  I would try either backing up your config files, and removing
> them all, or creating a new user to see if the problem exists on a new
> account.

I'll try to create a new account and do some testing with it.

Thank you for the hints. I'll let you know the results.

--
Roberto