PXE boot

Bjørn Ingmar Berg bjorn.ingmar.berg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:16:28 UTC 2006

Hi everybody

I want to use an existing Ubuntu server to boot machines via PXE.  I
want the PCs that boot this way to behave _exactly_ as if they'd
booted from the 6.10 install/live CD locally.  The only difference
being that the users will have to get the machine to PXE boot.
(Knoppix 5.x actually does this very neatly.)

The DHCP server is a WindowsServer 2003 thingy.  Everything else will
be run on and controlled by the Ubuntu server.  The DHCP range is
x.x.x.101 - x.x.x.200 and no adresses above 200 are in use.  Can I let
the Ubuntu server act as DHCP server for example x.x.x.201 - x.x.x.240
or will this be wrong?

I have googled for answers as well as searched on
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/  There are several howtos that
almost cover my needs but none that seem to do what I want to even so.
 Judging from what I read in both the LTSP and ThinCLient howtos they
seem to give the clients something different than what I'm after.
There is also a howto describing how to PCE boot the machines in order
to install everything off the internet, but that's not what I want
either.

Any useful help, tips or links?
Thanks in advance!

Bjørn Ingmar Berg