opinions about MS Vista

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Nov 23 15:28:28 UTC 2006

Nils wrote:

>> 1. Advance sleeping mode. computer can switch mode in 1 second and come
>> back in 2 seconds
>
> I would really like to have better suspend support on linux. On my
> Laptop (compaq nx7010) only hibernate works

afaict, if suspend doesn't work Linux, it's entirely due to bad ACPI
implementations. Windows has always had numerous workarounds for buggy
BIOSes.  However, many laptops don't do "suspend-to-ram" even under
Windows - neither of my Dells do.

> and sometimes it crashes
> (not sure if this is related to the wlan driver, wpa_supplicant)

powersave does a pretty good job of removing all the problematic modules
before hibernating/suspending and restoring them on resume.  To the extent
that when my wifi connection fritzes (a hardware problem, I think), I can
sometimes get it going again simply by hibernate/resume.
--
derek