ClamAv: is anyone paying attention?

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Wed Nov 22 23:44:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 17:37 -0600, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
<snippage>
> WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
> > WARNING: Current functionality level = 8, recommended = 9
> > DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html
>
>    I get this message 3-5 times a night, and ignore it most nights,
> hoping someone who once provided the updated versions once-upon-a-time
> to update it again.  It's not the maintainer of-record, via aptitude show.

I know that the actual version of clamav won't be updated in the ubuntu
repos BUT I would expect it to still function with the older engine.

> > Now I don't really care if it's a little out of date, but if it would
> > kindly download the latest sigs and do it's best I'd be more than happy.
> > How can I progress from here?
> >
> > I do not want to use non-repos stuff if possible.
>
>     Agreed: the repos should be up to date as it is.  And changing
> /etc/apt/sources.list wasn't the answer: the "backports" repo doesn't
> have it, either.  I've just been too busy fighting for sleep-and-work to
>  respond, and I wanted the (surprisingly educational) rant to end.

If the repos clamav would be able to update it's signature database I'd
be happy, I don't expect much, but one really does need the latest when
it comes to AV. Why can't clamav tell me that it is old but continue to
update and do it's best anyway? It seems like a very bad response from a
potentially critical application (just quitting because it's a bit old)!
Hmmmmm.