ClamAv: is anyone paying attention?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Nov 22 23:37:21 UTC 2006

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
> This thread turned in to some huge rant about linux viruses, but the
> original question hasn't been resolved.
>
> I am in the process of setting up and perfecting a local fileserver
> (using Ubuntu, natch) and would like it to scan for viruses since it
> will be used by windows machines too.
>
> I installed clamav by doing:
> sudo aptitude install clamav clamav-freshclam -y

    Me, too.

> Great, now when I run "sudo freshclam" I get the spiel about it being
> outdated here:
> $ sudo freshclam
> ClamAV update process started at Wed Nov 22 22:12:31 2006
> main.cvd is up to date (version: 41, sigs: 73809, f-level: 10, builder:
> tkojm)
> WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
> WARNING: Current functionality level = 8, recommended = 10
> DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html
> daily.cvd is up to date (version: 2230, sigs: 4567, f-level: 9, builder:
> arnaud)WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
> WARNING: Current functionality level = 8, recommended = 9
> DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html

   I get this message 3-5 times a night, and ignore it most nights,
hoping someone who once provided the updated versions once-upon-a-time
to update it again.  It's not the maintainer of-record, via aptitude show.

> Now I don't really care if it's a little out of date, but if it would
> kindly download the latest sigs and do it's best I'd be more than happy.
> How can I progress from here?
>
> I do not want to use non-repos stuff if possible.

    Agreed: the repos should be up to date as it is.  And changing
/etc/apt/sources.list wasn't the answer: the "backports" repo doesn't
have it, either.  I've just been too busy fighting for sleep-and-work to
 respond, and I wanted the (surprisingly educational) rant to end.

    So here we are.

- --
 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller