opinions about MS Vista

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 08:30:30 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Mustafa Ozkaynak <mozkaynak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just received an email from a friend (Actually he is a windows lover).
> He attended a session organized by Microsoft to introduce the most recent
> OS.
> Some of the shining stuff he mentioned about the Vista is as follows:

OK, let's see what we currently have.

1. Advance sleeping mode. computer can switch mode in 1 second and come back
> in 2 seconds

Probably replacing the hibernate icon in gnome-session with a shutdown icon.

2. GPO, you can schedule your computer so it switches on automatically at a
> specified time.

Tell your mom to remind you to switch on your computer at a specified time.

3. Superfetch: softwares can work at background and when they are needed
> they come back to foreground  in very short time. so there is almost  no

Vista require massive minimal requirements for RAM (512MB), so if you have
like it, try this.

swapoff /dev/hda5 #swap
sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=128000 #give the system at least 128mb of
memory limit.

4. USB drivers can be use as an extention to RAM

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/usbdisk/swapfile bs=1024 count=65536
mkswap /media/usbdisk/swapfile 65536
swapon /media/usbdisk/swapfile

5. BitLocker security system. The data in the system is encrypted  with a
> BIOS information so the Harddisk can not be read on any other computer.

Encrypted Root Filesystem<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encrypted-Root-Filesystem-HOWTO/>

6. Built in advance "getting image of HD software" such as ghost.

cat /dev/hda1 > hdimage.img
dd if=hdimage.img of=/dev/hda2 bs=<partition size in kbytes>

7. XPS Document Printer. Iexplorer can show all kinds of documents without
> any extra software (e.g. you can see pdf files without Acrobat).

Microsoft Anti-Trust +1

8. Advance search engine for the harddisk

beagle

9. Advance recovery system (Windows Recovery Environment)

No need to do this in Linux

10 You can define some specific events and copy these events to another
> computer easily (Mac does this for a while with automator).

They got DOS, we got bash and friends to do scripting.

What do you guys think about those. I am happy with my OS (Dappler Drake)
> but these features look pretty promising

Those features are possible in Linux 10 years ago.

--
> Mustafa Ozkaynak

Don't let your future genes deteriorate..