subject: Re: Giving up on Edgy

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Nov 19 17:05:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 15:22 +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> I'll try, in future.  I rather assumed that filing a bug meant that one
> was willing to answer questions and provide info.

Yes, this assumption makes sense IMHO. However it generally works better
if you keep in mind that the maintainers are humans too and AFAIK many
are not even paid by Canonical but donate their time. And there are more
bugs open than there is time, which is the normal state of affairs not
only for Free software.

For example, if a developer marks something as NEEDINFO it might just be
a reminder to himself that he wants to talk to the reporter later, when
there is time or bugs with higher priority have been resolved.

Just be a good team member like at the work place and everyone profits.

> With the actual bug that I had in mind, the problem has, after
> an update to edgy, escalated from not having a wireless internet
> connection to no longer being able to get a gnome desktop, and I'm not
> at all sure how much of the system is now working.

Without more info I would think that those are two distinct problems
that you need to solve separately.

No gnome desktop:
      * What happens exactly? Any error messages on screen?
      * What is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?
      * What is in ~/.xsession-errors ?

No wireless:
      * What card?
      * Do you use the default solution (menu
        System/Administration/Networking), or do you manually
        edit /etc/networking/interfaces, or do you use network-manager?
      * Any error messages on screen?
      * Anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.log?