Weird GNOME behaviour (in Dapper and Edgy)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Nov 19 16:56:48 UTC 2006

On 11/19/06, Severin Schoepke <severin.schoepke at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I have a weird problem with both installations: Sometimes Gnome
> doesn't allow the creation of new windows: When I'm working and want to
> start a new app or open a folder, it happens from time to time that the
> app/folder is not started/opened. There's a new entry in the task bar in
> the likes of 'Mozilla Firefox wird gestartet...' (FF is being started in
> english) that just disappears after a few seconds. I then can't start
> applications, be it via the start menu, a panel launcher, a starter on
> the desktop or from a terminal that is already open...

Sometimes applications don't exit properly and this will prevent them
from starting again. Next time this happens, check with either the
Gnome System Monitor or "top" in terminal that there isn't already an
instance of that app running. If there is, you will need to kill it
first.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam