Duplex soundcard? Ekiga problems. (Skype fixed)

Richard Urwin richard at soronlin.org.uk
Fri Nov 17 23:21:33 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 17:52, Richard Urwin wrote:
> OK, I'm on AMD64, but since I have £7 credit in Skype I got my finger out,
> searched around and found I could get it working with linux32.
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't work:
>
> richard at jupiter:~/Documents/Downloads/32bit/skype-1.3.0.53$ linux32 ./skype
> ./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: cannot open

Fixed that. For posterity, here's the incantation:
$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all ./libasound2_1.0.10-2ubuntu4_i386.deb
$ sudo cp /usr/lib/libasound.so.2* /usr/lib32
$ sudo apt-get install -f

You force-load the 32-bit libasound, copy it to the 32-bit library and then
fix your now broken 64-bit libasound.

And after a huge amount of playing around, I finally got the microphone
working, so Skype is up and working.

... Anyone know what the problem is with Ekiga though, I thought the whole
point of carefully selected applications was that they worked.

(Sorry but after banging my head against this for ten hours, I am due one
moan.)

--
Richard Urwin