How to install printer Kubuntu?

Mitch Contla mcontla at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:28:31 UTC 2006

Ted Quick said the following on 11/17/2006 07:58 AM:
> --- Mitch Contla <mcontla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ted Quick said the following on 11/16/2006 10:46 PM:

>>> When I do that it doesn't identify my HP 3745 Deskjet, it gives "ESP HP Color LaserJet Series
>>>
>> PCL 6" as the only possible orinter.
>>
>>> Ted Quick
>>>

>> Well. Why not try the lpadmin command. Linuxprinting.org say the HP 3745
>> is essentially the same as the HP 3840; the recommended driver is hpijs.
>> First, verify the ppd exists using lpinfo (my output listed with command
>> below:
>>
>> $ lpinfo -m | grep 3840
>> hpijs/HP/HP-DeskJet_3840-hpijs.ppd HP DeskJet 3840 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP 0.9.7
>>
>> If you don't see similar output, you need to get the correct ppd first
>> (use linuxprinting.org).
>>
>> Add the printer using lpadmin like this:
>>
>> $ sudo lpadmin -p HP-3745 -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m hpijs/HP/HP-DeskJet_3840-hpijs.ppd -u
>> allow:all
>>
>> This assumes the printer is connected to the parallel port. If it's
>> connected differently, you'll need to change the argument to the -v
>> option. You can get a list of recognized ports using "lpinfo -v".
>>
>> Everything going well? then...
>>
>> $ lpr -P HP-3745 <sometestfile>
>>
>> Did it print? If so, set the printer as default:
>>
>> $ lpadmin -d HP-3745
>>
>> If this doesn't seem to work, then we need to start looking at your cups
>> configuration.
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Mitch
>>

> Neither lpinfo or lpadmin works. Bioth say "command not found"
>
> Ted Quick
> Need a website? Look at: http://www.rqh-webhosting.com/

That means at the very least, cupsys-client is not installed. I don't
know what else your missing, but why don't you try (you can use apt-get
if you prefer):

$ sudo aptitude install cupsys cupsys-client cupsys-bsd cupsys-driver-gutenprint foomatic-filters-ppds foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-db-gutenprint

This should install and pull all dependencies for a complete printing
system (albeit with many extra drivers and ppds). Afterwards, try the
instructions in my last post.

Good luck
--
Mitch