gtkpod - iPod recommendations requested

Jens Cedlind jens at dataparty-mn.biz
Fri Nov 17 13:58:26 UTC 2006

ac wrote:
> Jens Cedlind wrote:
>> Odd, got a new iPod few weeks ago (G5, Video (not "G5.5")) and simply
>> set it up in Amarok, clicked the connect button, and Amarok said it
>> needed to be initialized and asked if I wanted to do so. Piece of cake.
>
> Thanks, useful to know. I had read that the initialisation needed to
> be done a specific way, and had seen some very detailed write up about
> using only linux initially. Maybe yours was pre initialised in some way(?)

That it was preinitialized was my first thought as well, but after
testing iPodLinux on it yesterday, I successfully initialized it twice
with amarok, both times after playing around with the partitions and
making new file systems, so I doubt that's the case.

I think the whole initialize thing is just a matter of creating folders
and the database file that the Apple iPod firmware reads.

-
Jens Cedlind