dist-upgrade to dapper? (not edgy)

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Nov 15 21:43:00 UTC 2006

How do I do a dist-upgrade from Breezy to Dapper--not to Edgy.

The reason is I have a server that was installed before Dapper was
final and so is running Breezy, I decided it is time to upgrade.
Dapper still has a lot of support life in it (more than Edgy) so
Dapper is obviously what I want on a server.

Yes, I realize that doing a dist-upgrade is not as reliable as a fresh
install.  That's why I have an alternate partition that I can boot
from.  Before I do anything dangerous I backup everything in / (not
the /srv and /home partitions) to the alternate and if anything
reasonable* goes wrong I can revert by rebooting off the old.  Very
short downtime if everything works, similarly short downtime if there
is a problem.

How do I dist-upgrade to Dapper, now that Edgy it out?

Thanks,

-kb

* If something catastrophic goes wrong and, say, my /srv partition
  gets trashed then I have to do a restore from a full backup.  I have
  that too.  But dist-upgrade has a decent reputation, so that seems
  unlikely.