Ubuntu has corrupted my file !

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 14 15:14:59 UTC 2006

James Gray wrote:

> On 15/11/2006, at 12:04 AM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 22:57 +1100, James Gray wrote:
>>> AFAIK only non-journalling file systems impose this mandatory fsck
>>> after a certain number of reboots etc.
>>
>> Not true, ext3 does this (and it is very annoying)
>
> Yet another reason not to use it.... ;)
>

>>>  Why not use (at least) ext3 or reiserfs/jfs/xfs???
>>
>> He probably uses ext3 since this is the default in Ubuntu. And by the
>> way, reiserfs is _known_ to have corrupted files
>
> I'm curious - I've used reiserfs in production roles on enterprise-
> class servers, for literally years, with nary a lost log line.

There are certainly plenty of reported corruptions - and fixes for them -
but I'm not sure it's worse than any other FS.

> I still
> wonder what all the rage about ext3 is - it's really not that good
> and completely useless on laptops (forced commits every 10 seconds or
> so).

There's no "rage" about ext3.  It's just a darn simple way to add
journalling to an existing FS.  Those commits are _not_ forced every 10
seconds, and iirc it isn't hard to change.  I used ext3 for years, before
switching to Reiser.  I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of using Reiser,
though.
--
derek