File Server and Raid

Richard Brown rich at cregy.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 05:43:39 UTC 2006

Hi All

On 13/11/06, Clive Menzies <clive at clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

> I put up a page of notes with some links I found useful:
> http://clivemenzies.co.uk/help/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=33&Itemid=58
>
> # http://rootraiddoc.alioth.debian.org/
> # http://juerd.nl/site.plp/debianraid
> # http://xtronics.com/reference/SATA-RAID-Debian.htm
>
> You can set up to boot from a raid configuration which is covered in one
> or two of the links - it's a bit tricky;  I used a pata disk for the
> system partitions and put all the data on RAID1 across 2 sata disks.
I have tried set-up the disk for raid array but keep coming across
problems. The system keeps saying I don't have a / root area.
Basically I set-up the disks like this:
10 gb / bootable raid
1 gb swap
239 gb /home raid

The problem was that it did not recognise the bootable root partition
and kept saying there is no root partition.

In the end I did this:
10 gb / bootable
1 gb swap
239 gb /home raid

10 gb /temp
1 gb swap
239 gb /home raid

It seems to have worked and I have an installed system. Am I setting
myself up for a fall please? Can anybody see a problem with what I am
trying to do? Is there a mailing list that simply deals with
setting-up servers please?

Thanks
--
Rich