Installing Kubuntu without removing Win98 & WinXP

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Mon Nov 13 22:04:09 UTC 2006

Francisco Borges <f.borges at rug.nl> writes:

> : On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:12AM -0800, John L Fjellstad wrote:
>>
>> Removing ubuntu-desktop won't remove anything else.  The dependency only
>> goes one way.  That is, *-desktop metapackages depend on everything
>> else, but nothing depends on it, so removing it shouldn't remove
>> anything else, but removing one of the *-desktop dependencies, say
>> speedcrunch (in Kubuntu) will remove kubuntu-desktop.
>
> I don't know about Synaptic or Adept but what your saying it not
> necessarily true.
>
> 1. If the package has been instaled with "aptitude", all packages
>    installed because they depended on the first will be marked as
>    "automatic installed packages".
>
> 2. Aptitude will, by default, remove "automatic installed packages"
> when no other package depends on them.

True. Always exceptions to the general rule :-)
But I would have thought most packages would have an interdependency
that would prevent this from happening.  Ie. removing kubuntu-desktop
wouldn't remove say kdewin.

I just tested on my system. If I try to remove kubuntu-desktop, the
following gets removed:
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  bluez-pin bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common brltty
  foomatic-db-hpijs hpijs hplip hplip-data hwdb-client-common
  hwdb-client-kde iso-codes kaffeine kaffeine-xine kbstate
  kde-guidance-powermanager kde-icons-mono kmag kmailcvt kmousetool
  landscape-client language-selector-common language-selector-qt libbrlapi1
  libgsl0 libqt4-core libqt4-gui libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql
  linux-headers-2.6.17-10 linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic
  linux-headers-generic python-elementtree python-qt4 qt4-qtconfig
  speedcrunch ttf-lao ttf-thai-tlwg wlassistant xcursor-themes

I'm surprised that the qt stuff will be removed since I thought the kde
stuff would depend on them (and therefore not be removed).  Interesting
enough, when I removed kubuntu-desktop in dapper because I was removing
speedcrunch, only those two got removed.

--
John L. Fjellstad