Installing Kubuntu without removing Win98 & WinXP

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Nov 11 14:58:31 UTC 2006

Sumesh K.S wrote:
> Hi,
>      In my PC i have 3 OS, 1. Ubuntu 5.10, 2. Windows XP Media Center
> Edition, 3. Windows 98SE. I want to install Kubuntu 5.10 or Kubuntu 6.06
> in the place of Ubuntu 5.10 without removing Win98 and WinXP.

The ubuntu existing install has two partitions, one is a 'Swap'
partition, and this can remain in place maybe reformatted swap but it
does not need to change for a replacement install (or even can be used
for more than one linux distro on the same machine - I do this)

The main ubuntu partition currently used as '/' root for the ubuntu
filesystem will be or can be simply reformatted ext3 during the
replacement install of Kubuntu. You will need to make the install
choice 'manually edit partition table' during the kubuntu
installation. Using 6.0.6 Desktop live CD the subsequent install
manually is all GUI and is not difficult. You will of course need to
be careful and keep a clear head.

The windows partitions will be obvious because they will be ntfs or
vfat, and the swap will be - swap - and the existing ubuntu will be
(probably) ext3.

During the Kubuntu install procedure, initially, you will need to
format the ubuntu partition. Notice that you will need to choose
'Commit' after your format actions before continuing to the next
screen. No need to do anything with the swap.

The next stage will require you to ensure that the new kubuntu '/' is
going into the chosen place - previously formatted ext3.

Swap will be as you expect I trust, and will usually be formatted
again as swap.

See that your other partitions (ntfs and vfat) are *not* going to be
formatted (!) (you will have backups will you not?). The ntfs and vfat
partitions may be mounted as you decide.

Finally, carefully check that you have got the setting as you want,
and 'Comntinue'

Some activities take a little while to complete and for some short
periods there is a slight lack of progress indication, so - be sure to
click on buttons deliberately and well (once) and then be patient for
the action to complete.

hth
--
ac