Accessing NTFS

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Mon Nov 13 08:56:14 UTC 2006

YAGNESH N DESAI wrote:

> What you can do is create a partition using ubuntu from
> available space and format it as FAT32. Windows will
> show that partition (as e:\ may be) and dump your files
> which you intend to use with both Linux and windows there.

Yes, that's what I do.  I have C:\ as Windows and NTFS, then a D:\
driver formatted as FAT32 where I house the My Documents folder.

Both windows and Ubuntu can read and write to that happily.

Only drawback with that is that currently in Windows XP there's no easy
way to also move the entire 'Documents & Settings' hierarchy to a
different drive.  In here is for example your Windows Desktop screen and
  any files on it.

NOTE: I noticed it's not safe to Hybernate Windows XP, then boot into
Ubuntu and make any kind of changes to any kind of files that Windows
accesses, then boot back into Windows later.   So always shut down
Windows all the way.

Cheers,
Chanchao