Accessing NTFS

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 11 05:55:01 UTC 2006

If it's for home use, i.e. only a few users. You can log on to each user
in windows and right click on My Documents and "move" that to a folder
on the FAT32 partition. Then in ubuntu you can do a symlink into each
users home directory of the relevant "my documents" directory. This is a
fairly transparent way to make the same docs structure available to
both. Unfortunately most of these approaches dont' give security other
than at the partition level so they have limited applicability outside a
home environment.

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 09:05 +0530, YAGNESH N DESAI wrote:
> What you can do is create a partition using ubuntu from
> available space and format it as FAT32. Windows will
> show that partition (as e:\ may be) and dump your files
> which you intend to use with both Linux and windows there.
>
> Though not the best way but it works well.
>
> While installing my laptop I had read that FAT32 is
> better with Linux. Hence I am using windows and Linux
> with great success by accessing my windows partition
> with r & w right.
>

> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:06:22 -0500
> From: Chris Rohde <veritastic at gmail.com>
> Subject: Accessing NTFS
> To: Ubuntu User List <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Hi all,
> I'm running a dual-boot system with windows and ubuntu, and I can see
> the hda2 location on my desktop... so I can get to and run all my
> mp3's
> in amaroK... but I was wondering why I can't rename them from in
> linux?
>
> Ideally I'd like to rename and reorganize, w/o having to switch to
> windows every time.
>
> Thanks

Kind Regards Russell
www.windsorcycles.com.au