rsync for dummies (or how to rsync a dvd image from cdimage.ubuntu.com)?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 01:45:41 UTC 2006

I live on a slow ISDN line, best I can get from Qworst.

The following ran for about 15 hours and just finished.

rsync -vvPz rsync://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/edubuntu/.pool/edubuntu-
6.10-live-i386.iso .

shortening the command to:

rsync -vvPz rsync://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/edubuntu/.pool/

gets you a directory listing.  Don't see a dvd image in this directory so
you
may have to hunt around.

There really should a page somewhere that descibes the many variant download
techniques that are supported, but not documented anywhere I have found.

Yes you will have to rename your file to match what's on the server.
Don't know if the two versions of the file are close enough to be fixed up
by rsync.
Would probably be better to make a local copy instead of renaming.
Be sure to check the md5sum after running rsync to see if all went well.

Drew

On 11/10/06, Scott <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> I've read any number of times that one can use rsync to update
> previously downloaded DVD/CD images.
>
> I downloaded a DVD image of Edgy a few days before the final release.
> And there was one more update beyond that.  I'd like to update my DVD
> image to reflect the final release.
>
> I've read up on rsync and most of it confuses me and I've not found any
> "rsync for dummies" or "quick and dirty rsync a remote .iso file" on the
> web.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this before?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Also, would I have to rename my ISO to match the one on the remote
> server?  They changed the name of the image for the final release.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>         Scott
> http://angrykeyboarder.com
> (c) 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved

Drew Einhorn