new to ubuntu; have a few questions

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 16:34:17 UTC 2006

On 09/11/06, Dwain Alford <dwain.alford at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/9/06, Eamonn Sullivan <eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You can make yourself root in any terminal window by typing:
> >
> > sudo -i
> >
> > And then entering your own password. Be careful with this, however.
> > It's easy to make a (irreversible) mistake.
> >

> as a "former" windows user i enjoyed admin privileges to do what i needed
> to do with the computer.  this is what i want to do.  this command will do
> it for me?  before i do this, would you please explain what the irreversible
> mistake is?

the sudo command will start you a new shell with root permissions, where you
have the ability to delete your entire filesystem, modify critical system
files, etc. Your normal access level will prevent you from doing such
things. Think of it as your normal id being a restricted user and the root
user is your administrator account.

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...