initscripts: 14 minute wait to fsck during boot is too long

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Tue Nov 7 20:27:24 UTC 2006

Francis Irving wrote the following on 07.11.2006 20:21:
> Package: initscripts
> Version: 2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu16
> Severity: important
>
> Every 30th time that I reboot, fsck spends 14 minutes checking the
> disk (on a 60G drive). The boot speed in Edgy is otherwise so
> fantastic now, that such a long delay becomes noticeable.
>
> Does an ext3 filesystem really need this check at all? I thought
> it was journaling, and there should be no need for such a slow check.

To disable it completly is no good imho. Because when fsck finds errors
it is allways a good signal that your harddrive is going to die.

I have used:
tune2fs -c 0 -i 2m /dev/hdXY

to reduce the apearing of fsck only to every two months, the bootcount
for fsck is disabled with this.
Set it to the values you like.

man tune2fs for details

Please note *IMPORTANT*
To enable the above example the filesystem must be unmounted.
To be sure boot from LiveCD (aka desktop CD) and do it from there if you
like.

bye Thilo
--
i am on Ubuntu 2.6 KDE