Suggestions required for purchase decision

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 14:38:46 UTC 2006

On 07/11/06, Santanu Chatterjee <thisissantanu at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Or a cheap NVIDIA chipset. Drivers not free, but well supported.
>
> If I go for NVIDIA, which among the cheap ones are best supported
> in Linux? (I would like to hear from your (and others in this list)
> experience, not from what they say in websites)

The Nvidia drivers are generic - i.e. one driver runs all graphics cards.
There isn't a driver for a 6600, another for a 6600GT, another for a 7800,
etc.

Basically, pick a card which you can afford and is relatively recent, and
you should have little issue with drivers. Over the years I have used a
GeForce4400Ti, a 6600GT and now a 7800GS+. No problems, although you may
balk at the price of some of them.

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...