Suggestions required for purchase decision

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 14:33:10 UTC 2006

On 11/7/06, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 17:43 +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> > 4. Graphics Card ????? Help Please
> >     (The least costly card that will fulfill Requirement#3 above)
>
> If you can live with the drivers being currently not all that great yet,
> you could go with an integrated Intel 965 Express chipset or earlier:
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org/documentation.html. It probably won't make
> you happy for gaming over the next 6 years, but it is cheap and has more
> then enough power for 3D desktops. And it has free drivers, so you can
> be sure that it will stay supported in future distribution versions.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have chosen MSI P965 motherboard which does not come with integrated
graphics. To get integrated graphics, I will have to choose a G965 based
motherboard. I was folowing the recent shootout of motherboards
in Digit (Nov,2006 issue) and the G965 motherboards seem to be
lagging compared to the P965 ones in terms of performance/features.
So, I am in two minds as to what I should go for.
Gaming is not important (I do play, but only xboard and similar).

> Or a cheap NVIDIA chipset. Drivers not free, but well supported.

If I go for NVIDIA, which among the cheap ones are best supported
in Linux? (I would like to hear from your (and others in this list)
experience, not from what they say in websites)

Regards,
Santanu