CinePaint

Nikolai psalmos at swissinfo.org
Sat Nov 4 12:25:36 UTC 2006

Did anybody manage to install CinePaint on their Ubuntu? The
installation depends on 9 packages, 2 of them (libpng-dev and
libtiff3g-dev) are not in Ubuntu repository so I got them from
packages.debian.org but they didn't install. libpng-dev failed with:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpng12-dev:
libpng12-dev depends on libpng12-0 (= 1.2.8rel-7); however:
Version of libpng12-0 on system is 1.2.8rel-5.
dpkg: error processing libpng12-dev (--install):
libpng12-dev

and libtiff3g-dev failed with:

dpkg: regarding libtiff3g-dev_3.5.5-7woody2_i386.deb containing
libtiff3g-dev:
libtiff3g-dev conflicts with libtiff-dev
libtiff4-dev provides libtiff-dev and is installed.
dpkg: error processing libtiff3g-dev_3.5.5-7woody2_i386.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing libtiff3g-dev
libtiff3g-dev_3.5.5-7woody2_i386.deb

I tried to compile CinePaint anyway but of course it failed too, it
wants these packages and perhaps more.

Any idea how to install CinePaint? I'm hoping to replace Photoshop with
it (for it supports 16-bit image files, unlike Gimp).

Thanks,
Nikolai

--
the truth shall make you free