Partitioning-error during 6.06-install

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Tue May 30 19:13:54 UTC 2006

Robert Spanjaard a écrit :
> I Just tried to install 6.06 on my notebook, which had two partitions when
> I started: a Windows NTFS-partition of 72 GB with about 62 GB free, and a
> FAT32-partition (probably for recovery) of 1.9 GB.
>
> When I got to the partitioner, I selected to edit the partitions manually:
> - Resize the Windows-partition to 15 GB (which would leave about 5 GB free
>   on that partition)
> - Use the free space for an ext3-partition of about 58 GB
>
> Then I waited... GParted was happily squeezing the air out of Windows'
> lungs, and everything seemed to go just fine.
> But after a while, X server suddenly restarted. Or at least, that's what
> it looked like. The screen went blank, switched to text-mode, and after a
> while I got the GNOME startup-sequence again (panel, window-manager etc).
> Linux did _not_ restart completely, it was just X and everything in it
> AFAIK.
>
> I restarted the installer (which had remembered my localisation- and
> usersettings) and got to the manual partitioning again. The
> Windows-partition was still reported as being 72 GB, but the used space
> went from 10GB to 67 GB.
>
> I decided to reboot into Windows, and see what had happened to all my free
> space. After the partition-check, Windows booted, I opened explorer and...
> saw a partition of 15 GB!
>
> So now, I have Windows reporting 15 GB with 5 GB free, and GParted
> reporting 72 GB, also with 5 GB free. How can I solve this problem?

You should first backup everything important (back up as much as if you
were to reformat your hard drive).

Then try with Hoary's Live CD.

I've said it earlier on the list, and I don't think that advice was
taken seriously, so I'll explain it : Hoary's Live cd gave me no pb at
all with resizing, whereas Breezy and Dapper's always had trouble
reporting the real state of my partitions. Which seems to be your pb.