[Samba Authentication] Set up a Samba share for Ubuntu and XP toaccess

sinaen ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 30 14:39:11 UTC 2006

Chris Neary Wrote:
> So here's what I'd like to do:
>
> It's mandatory that a kitchen computer exist and be used by the family,
> while my own machine runs Ubuntu and is vastly superior in that right.
> However I'd like to show off with some networkey bits and pieces such
> as
> have my MPD-controlled (www.musicpd.org) music collection available on
> network share from the kitchen computer running XP.
>
> I've installed Samba on Ubuntu and shared '/mp3' as 'SharedMusic' in
> Administration -> Shared Folders ('shares-admin' command) and both
> Gnome and
> XP show signs of being able to 'see' the share -- it pops up in
> network://
> in Nautilus, and adding a network place in XP doesn't actually fail --
> but
> neither of them actually let me in; They ask for a password and trying
> the
> password I use for both machines doesn't work.
>
> I've tried different combinations of username - WORKGROUP\chris,
> chris at WORKGROUP and the like, but nothing seems to get through. Gnome
> seems
> intent on using MSHOME as the workgroup/domain, but my smb.conf shows
> the
> workgroup is WORKGROUP. Or rather, workgroup. Is it case sensitive?
>
> The XP machine is setup to be on the 'WORKGROUP' workgroup.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Cheers
> Chris

To me i cannot find it on my windows machine. but i can see and access
it on my xbox and that i think is very strange.
but have you tried to run
smbpasswd <existinguser> <preferredpasswd> on your ubuntu machine

and for another matter. i think you should look into this instead :D
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gnump3d/ its really neat and easy to set
up :D

--
sinaen