Mainboard for Dapper

Tobias kuzum at mebias.org
Mon May 29 21:24:14 UTC 2006

I got a  Asus K8N4-E Deluxe, nForce4 mainboard
Breezy runs flawless, but I can not get installed Dapper, Debian as well
as Fedora 4 and 5 and Suse 10.1
With these distros hardware is very little recognized if at all. No
network card no hard disk.

After some google, I strongly belief it is related to that problem:

2.6.x kernel unbootable on some systems
There is a bug in the 2.6.x kernel MP table handling that prevents
install and OS boot on some systems. At the time of writing, the only
nForce systems known to trigger this kernel bug are nForce4 MP systems.
This bug causes memory corruption upon detection of any PCI bus numbered
higher than 32, and consequently renders the system unusable very early
in the install or boot process. On some systems, leaving ACPI on during
boot fixes this problem.
There are currently no known workarounds for this problem, but a kernel
patch for it has been accepted and is expected to be included in future
distribution releases.

Tried all kinds of boot options, but no success.
I like to ask, what socket 754 mainboard you would recommend.
or may I should wait some time more and then switch to the new AM2 AMD
cpu. But the run on nForce chip set mainboard agian.

I had a similar problem with nForce3, but can go around wit the "noapic"
boot option.