whole ftp repository into cds

NikNot niknot at gmail.com
Fri May 26 16:14:08 UTC 2006

On 5/26/06, nodata <ubuntu at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> > hi!
> > How can we copy the whole ubuntu ftp repository into cds or dvds, for
> > easier offline
> > Synaptic updating on Ubuntu?
> > Or are anywhere these cds or dvds ready to be downloaded in .iso format?
> > thanks!
> > Paulo
>
> I know you said "offline updating", but I don't think you really want to
> do this.
> It would probably be better to use a program like apt-cacher.
> The first time someone downloads a package through the proxy, it gets
> cached. The second time the package is served from the cache - fast.

I have a similar requirement, and yes, that is exactly what I need to
do, since the computers I will be maintaining have only slow
and somewhat unreliable (frequent outages) modem connections.

(For what it's worth: many of those kind enough to offer their help
on this list unfortunately ignore the simple fact: most of the world is
still using dial-up connections!)

nik