network problems [breezy]

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Thu May 25 21:13:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a small website running on a low-tech server at work (just my desktop
box running breezy & apache2).  Everything seems to be running fine, but
from time to time network access will be ocmpletely cut off.  The tech guys
sswear up and down it's not a problem with their networking hardware.  I
odn't really believe them, or didn't until today, when I found (for the
first time) that I could ping the machine just fine, but couldn't access the
web site or ssh into the box.

I'm not at this desk much anymore, so this is frustratingly hard for me to
figure out.  I wondered what kinds of tools there might be to help diagnose
this issue (network traffic monitor?  CPU activity log?).  Anyone have any
ideas?  Also if you have suggestions on how I might be able to tell that the
problem is with their hardware or my box...

 thanks,

 matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094