how is suspend-to-disk supposed to work?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Thu May 25 14:43:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 11:12:57PM +0200, Joerg Beyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not so successful in getting suspend-to-disk on my desktop machine
> to work. I have an AMD X2 64 3800+ processor and a asus a8n-sli premium
> board on Dapper Drake.
>
> I installed the hibernate package, which may or may not be a good idea.
>
> When I try "powersave -U" I get the box to suspend (I had to remove
> some modules). When it wakes up again the screen is scambled.
>
> I am not sure, what is the supposed way to get suspend-to-disk. Any
> pointers to documentation are welcom.
>
> Is there any out-of-the-box technic or do I have to use something like
> suspend2?

Hi Joerg,  I justrealized we have nearly identical hardware setups.  I
am actually able to suspend-to-RAM (not to disk) using the hibernate
package and the ACPI options there.  Have you tried that?

I htink that the USB subsystem gets messed up, but I haven't had so
very much toruble iwth it yet.  There may be some other trouble too --
I notice amarok crashes hard sometimes after a resume, nad I have to
reboot.

What I *really* want is to get suspend2 working, but haven't been able
to yet.  Please *please* keep the list informed of your progress --
and better yet, add your problems & solutions to the ubuntu wiki as
well!

thanks,

Matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094