Quit... bypasses the logout dialog

Michaël Van Dorpe michael.vandorpe at gmail.com
Wed May 24 19:54:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 20:15 +0100, Chris Neary wrote:
> killing Gnome without running GDM simply kills the X session once
> Gnome has exited.

I can log out to the GDM login screen just fine; the problem is that
that is my only option!

E.g. in order to shut down my computer, I have to log out to the GDM
login screen, and then select "shut down". The way I want this to work
is having the option to shut down by clicking on something *in gnome*.

> Make sure you're running GDM (needs to be run as root). It may have
> become broken somehow, and will no longer load - check the log files
> in /var/log/gdm maybe?

In Gnome, 'sudo gdm' gives: 'gdm is already running'. The logs don't
show anything special as far as I can see.

> Try this:
> System -> 'Quit'.
> At the terminal prompt you're returned to, type:
> sudo gdm (provide your own password)

System/Quit doesn't bring me to the terminal prompt, but to the GDM
login screen.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Michaël