Checking Hard Drive

Scott listboi at angrykeyboarder.com
Thu May 18 01:53:24 UTC 2006

On 05/19/2006 12:22 AM, * Richard spake thusly:

> fdisk /dev/hdaN, where N is the partition #

> Great, how about this:
> I have a second drive (hdb) want to re-format this drive, and mount it
> automatic
> second: this drive is going to be used for mp3 and video play back.
> (maybe holding some .pdf's )

> !what format type Linux partition or vfat32 ? should I used and why?
> and last, how does one right the command to do all the above?

fat32 is the old (Win 9x) Windows file system.  It's rather universal
these days in that most operating systems (Linux, Mac, Windows XP etc)
can read and write to it.

It's also the default format on flash media (USB flash drives, compact
flash, secure digital etc).

However, if you're only going to be running Linux then stick with a

Linux file systemformat (ext3, Reiser etc).

The default for Ubuntu is ext3.

--
	Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com