suggestion for calendar/organizer

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 17 23:48:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:20:37 +0100
Patrick Drechsler <patrick at pdrechsler.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a calendar/organizer application which does not
> involve me learning a new scripting language (I.e. emacs
> diary/calendar/todo interface). A GUI would be nice. Integration
> with Gnome would be nice, but isn't my prime concern.
>
> So far I have come across
>
> 1. plan: ok but a bit low-level
>
> 2. Evolution calendar: I do not use Evolution as a mail
>    client. The calendar part is basically what I'm looking for
>    though. But it crashes when right-clicking on any
>    appointment...
>
> 3. tkremind: I was not able to install the tkremind rpm with
>    alien.
>
> A system independent application would be nice (maybe a
> thunderbird interface).
>
> Sending reminder emails would also be a useful feature.
>
> I'm greatful for any pointers.

Look at jpilot (www.jpilot.org). A nice gtk2 gui, and full
compatibility with my Palm Tungsten E2. I've been using it for years,
with occasional time-outs to try versions of evolution. I
always wind up back with jpilot. My email client, sylpheed-claws, has a
plug-in that allows it to tap the address book in jpilot.

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science Correspondent